Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Yu-Gi-Oh Online Ver 3 Review

Welcome to my first review. I decided to ease on into this with something I know about as well as the back of my hand. Before I begin I got to tell you, this game assumes you have working knowledge of the offline card game variation of itself. So, unless you are already playing it for real or on a gaming system expect to take some bumps and dings trying to get a handle on things.

Also note that reviews of this game have been done before, but are dated to say the least and cover it under its past, shoddy incarnations. With that in mind, let’s go.

Setup: If you’re installing it for the first time, expect to wait quite awhile before everything finishes (it took me about 2 hours before I was battle ready) unless you have a fast connection and a fast machine. All those patches really seem to add up overtime.

Interface: The interface is fairly straightforward in terms of dueling, but things might take some getting used to in terms of chat. The major issue for me (at first) was how you made decks. You first have to make the deck, then go to save deck, pick new, give it a name and then click save.

As I mentioned earlier it’s possible to do live chats in game. Also, you can add friends and people onto an in game block list in case you run into someone who’s troubling you. Since adding or blocking also gave me issues, I’ll tell you how to add people to friends or block list. Just double click their name and pick from the choices. Sadly this cannot be done in battle, and as of yet I have not found a chat command to add them to said friend list. If anyone knows how to do it that way, please say something.

Game Play: The game plays out like any Yu-Gi-Oh battle starts. 8000 Life Points and drawing 5 cards to start. You just highlight the card you want, click what you want to do with it and go from their. Phases are advanced through clicking buttons in the middle of the screen.

To keep things at a brisk pace, each person is allotted a certain amount of time during their turn. On average each player is given 20 minutes to play out the match, and a secondary bar with a smaller count. If you run out of either total time, or turn time you lose regardless of other factors.

The game will ask you if you’re sure about your responses and chaining stuff. Some cards seem to be glitched however, like Tunningwear which says it’s suppose to act as a Level 2 for Syncro Summoning if you wish (this cost me a few games, so until they fix it, its not in my deck) If you get it, don’t use it, unless you wish to be annoyed like I was.

If you’re looking to try out your deck before going into the arena head over to Kaiba Corporation where you can battle various NPC’s to get the hang of it. The NPC’s have a tendency of using cards that are classed as Forbidden. I don’t have the slightest idea if this is for reasons of additional challenge or simply something forgotten. I’d believe the latter over the former since the A.I. on the likes of Yami Yugi and Hell Kaiser are about as bright as a baseball.

Those who have played the game in real life more than likely are aware of the Limited/Forbidden list. This game has one that differs from that list, so it could be an adjustment. For better or worse all depends on preference.

Complaints: Of course, nothing is flawless. These are my gripes in the form of bullet points:

- I had to build my deck in the Duel Options before I could use it. Even if you buy a structure deck, it doesn't automatically save itself in one of the slots. Keep this in mind before you try to play a game.


- The default selection of cards is rather abysmal in terms of usability unless you sign up during a Registration Campaign. Unless you got some money lying around ($2.99), I suggest waiting till a Registration Campaign, otherwise you’ll have a struggle to overcome.


- For the credit card option, they only take Visa or Master Card.


- BP can only be gained by way of Booster Pass (they give 30 BP).


- With most packs, they cost 15 BP and only give you 5 cards.


- You can only buy each structure deck once, and only 1 of them (I know they need to make money, but come on).


- Cards and BP are held by character so if you delete one character to make another, kiss all those things goodbye.


- The censor system in chat is stupid. The h-o in “how” will be censored for example.


- The filtering system for cards leave quite a bit to be desired. The more precise you want to be, the more likely it gets to not showing anything. You’ll be refreshing like crazy. Here’s hoping they fix that.


- Though it is possible to trade in game, you can only trade cards that you purchased with Booster Points. Yep, those cards you get from buying Booster Passes don’t mean squat. Awfully greedy if you ask me.

Final Judgment: Despite all the gripes, I do enjoy the game. Though I honestly only recommend this to people who are already fans of the game and have maybe $10-$15 bucks to spare to start up their dueling carriers.

As I’m wrapping this up I’m preparing to go back on for a bit before calling it a review day. Also I'd like to know there's a possibility I will be touching up on this game again in the near future.

If curiosity is great enough, here’s the link:
http://www.yugioh-online.net/

And some screenshots below. Now to get to cracking open a book on coding so I can show thumbnails.:
http://s1091.photobucket.com/albums/i381/Kawaiido/YuGiOh%20Stuff/YGO%20Review%20Screenshots/

No comments:

Post a Comment