Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 30, 2011

League of Legends: The Field of Justice Welcomes You




I have seen my associate, Aron play this game on and off. I never thought about playing it for awhile, if only because my computer back then was so crappy and running it would make its CPU explode into cyber salsa. Now I have a new machine which is working nicely, though I wish the connection in my area were faster. It’s not a snail’s pace, but still…anyway, let’s get on with the review.

League of Legends is a game of the Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA henceforth, which is the widely accepted short hand anyway for those not familiar) games. They boil down to this. You and your team try to destroy this critical structure the enemy team has before they wreck yours. Sounds simple enough on the surface, but once you get into the game this turns out to be a more involved process than it sounds. What do I mean by that? Well, I’m about to tell you.

Gameplay: League of Legends reminded me of those micro managing real time strategy games. I HATE THOSE! I don’t see how people can get enjoyment over having to constantly tell section A how to do their job, and then checking on sections B, C and D with so many units, checking on the resources you currently possess so you can do the really good stuff. Thankfully that isn’t the case here. Sure, there are minions, but you don’t command them. They do their own thing. The only person you have to worry about managing (in terms of building stuff on) is your Champion.

This character has access to four abilities that can be used and pumped up. Catch is you can’t use all of them right away. You got to kill enemy minions, neutral creatures that hide in the forest areas of the map (the term “Jungling” describes that, but it’s a misnomer since as of yet none of the maps in game thus far has a Jungle. So it’s more like “Foresting”, but that’s not as cool sounding I guess) and of course, members of the opposing team for experience points and Gold which is used to buy items (these items do not carry over from game to game) to increase your stats and other good stuff.

The game has always been free to play. Every so often Champions are rotated in and out for you to play with. If you want, however, you can pay some money (or Influence Points (IP henceforth), which can only be earned by playing the game) to keep them in your roster permanently.

If you’re like me, you’re conditioned to click the left mouse key in games to move. Getting used to having to right click could be bothersome at first, but you get used to it in time. As for the curb of the game…it’s not exactly easy to learn, but it’s not exactly a ball buster either. As of now I’m Level 10 in the game (Max 30). Each level grants you mastery points to put towards small changes towards the way you fight. Runes can also have an impact on how you play. Unlike Champions, you can only get Runes with IP, so…you can’t buy power (well, you still have to buy the Runes, but you just can’t do it with cash).

One of things I had the biggest issue getting over was getting used to the camera panning. Starting out, it was a hindrance for me, but now I manage just fine. Fiddle around with it before you really get started ASAP.  The game does provide a tutorial for first timers, which introduces the basics, but it feels rather incomplete when you get to the Co-Op V.S. A.I. A.I CANNOT prepare you for fighting against players. It can vary anywhere from dumb as dirt to very tough (and even then they can get stupid).

No one character is a lone wolf. Not a single one can take the game by themselves. It is highly team oriented. I won’t get into breaking down all the roles available (the Alteil one was long enough as is) but combinations are also key. A Champion that’s a bad fit for the team (even if you’re awesome with them) can wreck synergy and cost you the game before you even fight, and if you aren’t communicating with your team it can be a real disaster (play a Support role character in the random que at your own risk). I don’t have a playgroup as of yet, so it can be a real gamble…I’d like a playgroup, so I need to get to finding people.

Concerns: The game is not without its faults. ONE CHAPMION could set you back as much as $10. I really suggest you wait for sales and buy bundles, and this is even before skins (which can only be obtained by purchasing with real cash). They can cost as much as a Champ (only way I get them is from a bundle or one of their giveaways) and do nothing but change the appearance...if you ask me something purely COSMETIC shouldn’t cost as much as a Champion, EVER (and then people buying them rage about how they have to split between champs and skins and worried going broke on Riot Points (RP henceforth))! If you REALLY WANT A CHAMPION permanently, and not clean out your bank account in the process…I can’t stress enough about waiting for bundles and sales (and if you go against that advice, be sure you actually can play with said character).

If any parents are reading this, you might not want your younger kids on the forums. When the servers go down you could easily see crazy stuff like this:



I found it funny, but gross…very…very…very, gross. Speaking of mind numbing things, I hear the server downtime can be rather…insane. The joke is that Riot can’t seem to make an update without the servers going down like a hooker on a cop trying to get out of a parking ticket. Since I have started playing, this has only happened once, so I cannot testify firsthand the history of these issues.

The game only has two maps…almost 80 Champions as of this review, and only TWO MAPS! One for 5v5 and one for 3v3. New Champions come out every two weeks I hear, and new maps…nowhere near as fast. The game has almost been out for about two to three YEARS…and only TWO MAPS! Different opponents each time make the game a different experience, but I would really love MORE MAPS to play on.

Also balancing issues. I see talk of this a lot (though I have yet to feel the effects). One of my favorite Champions, Annie is complained about a lot, and a good deal of people think she’s unfair. I say they just hate the idea of being beaten by a fire wielding girl with a demon teddy bear that’s on FIRE! Also, the communities high tier players (and a bunch of others) can be quite snotty when it comes to ones thoughts on how to improve/nerf a character. You can tell how much of a stuck up fuck one is if they drag your Elo ratting into it to discredit you or bring theirs up to prove a point. Must be a lot of people on that game with tiny penises in this game.

Final Judgment: It’s a casual alternative to other MOBA’s out there, so for that reason I like it. But I also don’t like it because of the lack of maps. I play sparingly because I don’t want the maps to get old and because I lack a group. But if you bring a bunch of friends in your experience should be a nice one.

1 comment: