Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Urban Rivals: After the Honeymoon Phase…




I have never been hung over before, but I imagine it being like in a blender set on liquefy yet somehow surviving being diced into bits with a sort of warmth washing over you. When it’s over, you wonder what the hell happened to you, throw off the sheets, see some ugly person beside you and you pray you didn’t sleep with them in your state of poor judgment. That’s how I feel about Urban Rivals.
Those of you who follow me might remember how I gave this game such a glowing review…so why am I taking it back? Well, I ended up going to the game when I had reached the apex of anger with Alteil. The Nerf of 5/27/11 had made me so angry that I left the game for a few months. During that time, I had explored alternatives to get my card game fix without breaking the bank into tiny pieces or taxing my patients.

I had incurred a heavy streak of losses due to a combination of frustration and constant losing because I wasn’t willing a sacrifice my mother, sister and first born to Satan. So, after a particularly devastating lost to Falkow I went to immediately jump on the competition after hearing some high ranking Alteil players badmouth it. So off I went.
The game play is simple…TOO SIMPLE! Make a deck of 8 cards, pill off and see who wins. Even Poker has less bull crap luck involved. It can be funny to see a character win despite being 10 less in power, but when we talk in the 20’s or more, it gets rather insane. I have lost matchups where I had 40 Power more than the opponent.

Death Match is no better at times. If anything its even more luck based…as in you’d be lucky not to have an opponent stacked up with cards that completely overpower you, forcing you into overpilling so much that you can’t adequately defend yourself in the upcoming fights. There’s nothing wrong with luck being a deciding factor, but you got to pull the reigns somewhere.

Tonight was the last straw about it. You either win hard or lose hard. There is no in between. I wish I never bothered with this game. I wish I could sell off the cards for cash. This is that ugly person I took home in the drunken stupor…I resend any praise I had given this game, and I’m starting to wash my hands of it. It’s just not for me, but if you enjoy it that’s cool too.

Just don’t expect to see me on much longer. Shadow Era is suffering from a LOOOOONG wait for new cards. At this rate I question…is their really a game out there, on the internet, of an MMO scale that I will ever be truly happy with? Like anything, this will be known in time. It was fun for awhile, Urban Rivals but we must see other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment