Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Shadow Era Card of the Day – U.S. Nationals Week: Elementalis

The Elementals. They got some pretty interesting cards. I say this because I’m reviewing one of them for day two of the U.S. Nationals Week.



AH, Elementalis. All the world is but a buffet to you. I can only imagine how many living beings you gorged yourself on while under the pilot of Harry Mckenzy (major ups for placing with him). I would have used you myself (much as I love tanking) but I didn’t after the possibility of Plague showing up to slow my progress further (but more on the one Priest who did make it tomorrow). Then again victory belongs to the bold and Harry is indeed that. Let’s break it down, and be quick about it I want to end this while it’s still full.

Elementalis has a respectable 28 hit points which ain’t too shabby if you ask me. For the cost of 2 Shadow Energy it can make any Ally under your control into a 5 Life restoring treat. Got a Spark to spare? Throw it to it! Fire Snake becoming useless? Slather it in gravy and send it along. Plasma Behemoth about to die on your opponent’s next turn? Attack first, CHOW DOWN LATER!

What makes this all the better (though not for long if the Nerfs takes the fun out of it) is that you can access Mind Control to snatch up a foes Ally, beat them with it then eat it. Fun for you but Hell for your opponent who will then cry “OP!” (over powered for those not in the know) to the developers till the cows come home. If you really want to piss your opponent off-, um, I mean make things more fun by equipping it with the Armor of Ages (named so because it takes FOREVER to break, but that’s for another time). Recovering so much health in one go AND be harder to kill!? SIGN ME UP!

But wait, there’s more! Sure, you can just use the Armor, Mind Control and call it a day, but why not just take it one step further…? How can you possibly draw out the opponent’s suffering longer? Toss in 2 copies of Eternal Renewal! Between replenishing your deck, stalling like crazy, snatching your opponent’s succulent (I can taste that Jasmine Rosecult rump roast now) Allies and restoring your health every other turn the opponent will either fight on valiantly to the point of frustrating, break down in tears from the futility of it all or pull off an epic miracle move which will make you shout to the heavens “WHHHHHHHYYYYYY!!!!!?” Oh, and chuck in a few copies of Energy Discharge to further add salt to the wounds.

There’s one other Ally I feel that would go well with Elementalis, but I think that one would work best with another Hero I will be reviewing later this week. Elementalis has a weakness in the form of being dependent on Fatties (cards that cost 5 Resources or more) to really bring the pain. Resource denial cards such as Plague will really grind you to a halt. Elementalis is beefy, has access to powerful toys and can really make its foes suffer, but all someone needs to do is rush it down and it’s over. Did he get lucky? Will Harry ride Elementails to the top or will a much faster Hero prove to be his undoing? We'll find out on Saturday if Harry has what it takes to bring the pain and dominate the tournament. All I’m saying is if he got that slow thing to the top 8 I sure as Hell don’t want to face him.

Allies! The other white meat.
Allies! It’s what’s for dinner.
Allies! Sweeter than candy.
Allies! Part of a nutritious breakfast.
This message was made possible by the Elementals for World Domination Society. Please don’t eat me!

No comments:

Post a Comment