Total Pageviews

Friday, January 13, 2012

Short Review: Nintendo 3DS

Hello. So, how are all of you doing? I’m alright. Christmas was okay. I ended up getting some nice stuff under the Christmas tree. One of which I will do a quick review on right now.

Yep…I never had a 3DS till now. This is my impression of it. I will only be covering functions I have actually gotten to use so far.

The Feel: I’m not sure if all Nintendo 3DS’s are like this, but mine feels pretty slick. As in slippery. I wonder if some people haven’t already dropped this thing at least once due to sweaty palms. The control pad feels odd, but using the stick feels oooooh so right. Not sure why though.

The 3D Effects: I received four games for the system. Those are Sonic Generations, Super Mario 3D land, Mario Kart 7 and Dead or Alive: Dimensions. In Mario 3D and Sonic Generations the 3D effect was more burden than fun feature. You probably won’t have an issue with it, but it was a big enough to convince me to not use 3D in those games if I’m actually trying to win. It’s like trying to shoot an armor piercing arrow at an apple on an infant’s head while drunk off your ass and sand is in your eye. I’m sure there’s games where it won’t ruin things for you.

Backwards Compatibility: If you have not already tossed out your Nintendo DSi you better not let it go if you still like your DS games. When I inserted a standard DS title it was fuzzy and saturated. How the fuck can this thing render 3D and NOT make original DS titles show clearly? This is also true for games that are older than DS that are repackaged for the 3DS through Nintendo’s App store. I got Zelda Four Sword Adventure (which is free till February 22 if I’m not mistaken so if you don’t have it NOW, get it soon). It doesn’t detract from the gameplay (unlike the D-Pad which feels VERY awkward) but it is an eyesore for me. I can see part of the reason why the CEO of Nintendo took a severe pay cut for. Should have been forced to commit seppuku for that. I kid, but really Nintendo couldn’t you have taken some more time with this system?

Motion Controls: Not going to lie, these feel funny. I would not play any games that require the motion controls in public in fear of accidently hitting someone. I’m sure something will come along to make the most of it but right now it feels silly in a public place and would be annoying to explain that you’re playing a game to people who think you’re going nuts.

Play Coins: A new, and interesting feature. There are some things you can unlock in some titles with Play Coins. These are obtained by walking with the 3DS on you while closed (not sure if it works when open) or when the system is in standby mode. Each 100 steps gives you 1 Play Coin and I heard that the amount is capped at 300 for some reason. Here’s hoping a firmware update expands this by…a lot.

Judgment: Not too many titles worth playing right now, but I’m sure that will change. If you get the 3DS get it for 3DS games. You might get annoyed by the washed way original DS games look on this. Here’s hoping an upgraded version fixes this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment